Monday, August 29, 2011

The First Day of Many to Come

Last night I believed I had prepared myself mentally for today.  I had one of my fabulous friends over, Ilse, for a proper baked mac & cheese dinner, a couple of bellinis,  and some Jersey Shore.  It was a perfect evening with lots of laughs and positive juices flowing.  I didn't stay up too late and felt prepared for my big day. 

It was 4:59 a.m. when I excitedly got out of bed this morning.  As I got ready my nerves started to get the best of me.  My stomach was in so many knots that I had to force myself to vomit, yuck!  I couldn't believe how nervous I felt all morning, and this dreaded heat didn't make matters any better.  I was a hot, sweaty mess.  Although I got out of the house on time, my nerves started kicking in again when I hit some traffic on the freeway.  I distract myself a bit by popping in one of my new Italian CD's and started my first lesson.  Before I knew it the traffic was flowing smoothly and I was happily repeating some simple Italian phrases all the way to school.  I absolutely have to set up some kind of camera to film myself because, I can only imagine how funny I look and sound.

Things got started a little slow in class today but, what could I expect on the first day.  After the Chef gave us a little chat about what we should expect and what he expects from us,  we had to watch an hour of a video tape, from the 90's, about safe serve.  Once that torture was over we got to take a break and sample some of the mini cakes the the baking class made.  Let me just say that they were little bites of sweet heaven and what I consider a perfect breakfast.  Who doesn't love cake in the morning?  Will, I actually only know one person that would disagree... Sanna! 

Our first lesson was on knife technique.  The correct way of holding the knife and we started to practice cutting a potato and carrots "Julian".  You need to cut the item perfectly cubic approximately 1/8".  Let me just tell you that this is no easy task.  Needless to say I did not master the technique in class so, I will be practicing tonight with my big bag of russet potatoes.  Mashed potatoes anyone?

Another thing I felt quite proud of myself for was, I made it to the gym.  I was so tired after class and felt so sleepy on the way home I didn't think I could do it.  I talked myself into it and I actually went.  I feel like this is going to be one of the most difficult things to accomplish every day.  I do hope I can do it.  Keeping my gym routine is important to me because, I absolutely don't want to gain weight while I am in school.  We'll see how it goes.

If someone were to ask me how my day went today.  I would reply with a simple "molto bene!"



No comments:

Post a Comment